National Date Nut Bread Day is celebrated on September 8th of each year. Celebrate with this recipe from food.com, 1947 Date Nut Bread Recipe.
Serves: 12 Yield: 1 loaf Units: US | Metric
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup nuts, chopped
- Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl, cover and let cool.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat sugar and egg together and add to dates, alternatively with the sifted ingredients.
- Dredge nuts in a small amount of flour and stir into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan, let rise for 20 minutes.
- While batter is rising, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Turn out onto cooling rack to cool.
- Serve sliced very thin for sandwiches, spread with cream cheese or butter.